Friday 27 September 2013

More - a poem in Boyne Berries 14

I had to give the launch of the latest Boyne Berries magazine a miss last night to attend NWW where the Errigal writers gave a tour de force reading. I am delighted that Kate Dempsey, guest editor for this issue, chose my poem 'More' for inclusion. I'm looking forward to my copy arriving in the post next week. Thanks Kate and Boyne Berries. I say it to anyone who listens and here I go again - subscribe to small magazines, support the work they do.
'More' is fairly self explanatory. It's a mid life poem, a light hearted, full hearted love poem for my quiet man who now thinks I'm the kind of woman scold's bridles were invented for. Enjoy.


More

 

We ought to enjoy each other more

while we are still young (youngish),

not presume to be lithe always,

able unclip a bra with one hand,

able to reach my hand under your arse,

down the back of your leg.

 

We ought to burn more midnight oil,

talk more in the dark,

watch the room fill up with

moonlight and become undark,

appreciate the way a glimmer seeps

around the skylight blind.

 

If one of us can’t sleep

we shouldn’t care, instead

waken the other

say I can’t sleep.

Listen to our house stretch and

contract, our children breathe.

 

We ought to start tonight,

 bring a whisky to bed

 like we did
 
 the night we moved in.

 

Maureen Curran

5 comments:

  1. A sad but meaningful poem that truly encaptures that feeling of lost youth & the spectre of old age that beckons us all as our lives tick on .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you took the time to respond.

      Delete
  2. Truly captures that nostalgic feeling we all have of wishing we had made more of our young naive idyllic early selves .... lovely poem-well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Gosh what a very sad emotional poem - written from the heart -now I need a whisky :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome and appreciate your comment.