Monday 17 February 2014

Reading the Credits, Crediting the Reader

Browsing the publishing credits of Jane Clarke, whose work I have enjoyed in journals and when she read at North West Words, I discovered her poems had featured in Envoi journal. A bit of googling later and I ordered a copy of the journal published in Wales by Cinnamon Press and edited by Cinnamon's Jan Fortune. That was the Summer 2013 issue and included poems by Kevin Graham, a Dublin poet whose work I have also spotted in the journals over the years.

The work published in Envoi, interesting reviews, and especially the insightful editorial directing readers to particular poems in the issue indicated a sensibility I liked, so I chose three poems to submit for the next issue due out in November. I sent Going Nowhere Slowly, which has since been published in Word Bohemia, Testimony and A Brother for Luka which I'm very fond of but no editor has been to date.
Testimony was chosen by Jan Fortune for publication and my contributor's copy arrived a few weeks ago.



Testimony is one of those poems that is the product of a writing exercise set in a Garden Room Writers meeting. The prompt was a selection of images from newspapers. I chose a photo of the footpath outside a graffiti covered shop. There were some chairs and a cafe table set outside and I began wondering about who might take a seat there amid the traffic fumes and litter. The poem then became about a man who spent his time passing judgement on the people in the paper he read and in his immediate environment. I imagined him reading the graffiti and acting on the urge to respond to what he read there.

Testimony

He has a favourite spot
outside a café on High Street

No-one calls in there for
card-boarded coffee to go

His seat is a white folding chair
at an un-matching folding table

He opens his paper out
ignores the passing traffic

Sometimes he looks at the
graffiti on the doors

He sees who loves who
who is a whore

Angels paint these
messages while we sleep

He writes them on the edges
of his paper, carries copies

folded in his pocket
for doomsday.


 Maureen Curran     

Order Envoi   here 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome and appreciate your comment.